Re: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 11:24:56 +0100
Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:

> OMG! That additional complexity is something I would certainly want
> to avoid. I guess there may be good OWL reasons why one would want to
> do that, but I cannot think of any good reasons why you would want to
> put the data type into the predicate like this in most cases. Just
> think about the horror of writing this in RDFa... And how it also
> becomes an extra line in a SPARQL query.

There are legitimate use cases for it. OWL Time models instants and
periods of time as non-literals to allow relationships to be drawn
between them, and for them to be annotated in detail.

e.g.

	[ a owltime:Instant ] :before [ a owltime:Instant ] .

If literals were being used, RDF's non-literal-subject restriction
would not allow such a statement to be used.

However, this complexity is overkill for most use cases. And that's why
I want to start a new event vocabulary from scratch - well, by
subclassing existing event vocabularies - something dead easy to embed
in web pages as RDFa, but that covers most use cases.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>