Semantic Elephants: Versioning, URIs, UniqueIds, owl:sameAs, Managing Coreference

From: Michael F Uschold <uschold@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 13:29:59 -0700
To: public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org
Cc: Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@gmail.com>, Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "Fabian M. Suchanek" <f.m.suchanek@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@csail.mit.edu>, Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>, Mark Greaves <MarkG@vulcan.com>, georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de, Jens Lehmann <lehmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>, Michael Bergman <mike@mkbergman.com>, Conor Shankey <conor.shankey0@gmail.com>, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>, Kendall Grant Clark <kendall@clarkparsia.com>, Peter Mika <pmika@yahoo-inc.com>, Ora Lassila <ora.lassila@nokia.com>, "Dr Jeff Z. Pan" <jeff.z.pan@abdn.ac.uk>, Sean Bechhofer <seanb@cs.man.ac.uk>, "Michael Lang(Jr.)" <michaelallenlang@gmail.com>, John Graybeal <graybeal@mbari.org>, tim.glover@bt.com, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, dbooth@hp.com, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, wangxiao@musc.edu, asaegyn <asaegyn@gmail.com>
All,

I analyzed some past threads and teased out and summarized three distinct
modeling issues.

   1. Overloading OWL
sameAs<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Overloading_OWL_sameAs>:
   sameAs is being used in the linked data community in a way that is
   inconsistent with its semantics
   2. Proliferation of URIs, Managing
Coreference<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Proliferation_of_URIs%2C_Managing_Coreference>:
   How to avoid or manage two negative consequences to the current
   proliferation of new URIs being minted for the same things. Specifically:
      1. it is hard to find when two things should be the same
      2. even if you can find the links, prolific use of owl:sameAs will
      create computational problems.
   3. Versioning and
URIs<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Versioning_and_URIs>:
   When and whether to make new URIs for different versions of things.

I added them to the Catalog of Modeling
Issues<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Main>in the
Ontology
Design Pattern Wiki <http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki>.  Click on the
links for more details.

What is the Catalog of Modeling
Issues?<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2010Apr/0214.htmlhttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2010Apr/0214.html>

Below is a bit of background on the history of this discussion.

Michael

PS The individuals in the CC: of this email were directly involved in the
original discussions.

*Background:*

In May 2008, I kicked off a discussion with the subject "A Semantic
Elephant" describing the unnecessary and costly proliferation of URIs and
owl:sameAs links. This discussion evolved to be mostly about managing
co-reference. Intitially private, this discussion was moved to the W3C
Semantic Web Discussion
List<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/>at Tim
Berners-Lee's request. See: Managing
Co-reference (Was: A Semantic
Elephant?)<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008May/0081.html>.

The original discussion also evolved into a discussion about owl:sameAs per
se, which has been a recurring topic on various lists over the years. Aldo
Gangemi provided a concise summary on May 16,
2008<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008May/0126.html>.

In October 2008, I started a closely related discussion focused more on
challenges with Versioning and URIs. It was under the subject: URIs and
Unique IDs<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008Oct/0192.html>.

>From all this, I teased out the three distinct but closely related modeling
isssues listed above. For each I created a detailed summary of the issues
and topics that were discussed
Michael