Re: An idea I need help with, or told to stop wasting time on!

From: Story Henry <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:55:00 +0200
Cc: <nathan@webr3.org>, "Linked Data community" <public-lod@w3.org>, <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: "Michael Schneider" <schneid@fzi.de>

On 7 Jun 2010, at 09:39, Michael Schneider wrote:

>> Thus is it safe to say that this would be a problem in OWL DL as well?:
>>
>>  :x owl:sameAs 'a literal'^^xsd:string .
>
> No, owl:sameAs cannot be used with literals in OWL DL. It can only be used
> with URIs (named individuals). What you are doing here is, again, "genuine"
> OWL Full, because OWL Full treats data values as individuals.

If you look at the rdf semantics document it spends a lot of time showing how one can turn literals into bnodes. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/

(I can't quite remember where now)

I wonder what the problem owl has with doing this. And also I wonder if it is easy to create some new owl version that could deal with that.

Henry