RE: RDF *already* supports literal subjects - a thought experiment

First let me say that I don't fully understand the issues here, I
am not a expert, but I am trying to make sense of these issues in
the context of my current and future semantic web practice. What
Pat mentioned, above, actually made sense to me given the following
statement in the RDF concepts document:

 <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/#section-Literals>

 3.4 Literals
 Literals are used to identify values such as numbers and dates by means
 of a lexical representation. Anything represented by a literal could
 also be represented by a URI, but it is often more convenient or
 intuitive to use literals."

If *anything* represented by a literal could also be represented by a
URI, then:

_:x owl:sameAs <literal> .
_:x :p :o .

makes perfect sense to me. However, wouldn't the range of owl:sameAs
need to be expanded to include literals?

Andy.