Re: AW: Show me the money - (was Subjects as Literals) +1 for Frank's comments

On 3 Jul 2010, at 09:40, Chris Bizer wrote:

> I cannot agree more with what Frank has said.
>
> I think that this working group can be very dangerous and destructive if it
> is developing into a talk shop for ivory tower people.

I don't agree that this is necessarily ivory tower people, btw. And I am certainly
not one of the ivory tower ones, as you know.

But I don't think one should underestimate the importance of conceptual beauty. You
may say, that is difficult to judge, but one of the authors of the spec, and Tim
Berners Lee with N3, and a few others have found things like literals in subject
position to be useful and beautiful. So those are not words to put aside lightly.
And in matters intellectual we are not in a democracy I fear - that is if democracy
is understood as the rule of the majority. I am pretty sure you subscribe to this view.

Making this change could end up simplifying the work at all other levels, by reducing
complexity.

If a great Go master, say Go Sei Gen a Chinese expatriate who ruled Go in Japan for most
of the post war years, said a move was beautiful, this was not something to be
swept aside by his students as a quaint aesthetic statement, but is meant to attract the deepest
respect.

This is the weekend so let us mediate a bit please. On this thread I found
that many of the reasons given against the change were mistaken. Perhaps the
one reason of concern may be how long it would take to do such a change.

> Thus I think it is very critical to keep the duration and scope of the
> working group as small as possible.

Perhaps it would be good then to ask how long such a change would take,
and if the repercussions of it, could make other changes a lot easier too.
But also I don't see what the hurry is. RDF/XML works well as it is now, so
why does this working group have to do things in 1 year?  What would it help
to do these small changes?

> Concerning scope, I think that it is critical that the working group does
> not try to develop/pioneer any new technologies, as recent W3C working
> groups tried with mixed results. Thus I think the working group should only
> do two things:
>
> 1. tidy up the specs and delete all stuff that has not been widely adopted
> by the community over the last years
> 2. give an official blessing to widely used RDF data model extensions

What are you thinking of here? Named Graphs?

> and widely used alternative syntaxes.

So you mean turtle I suppose.

> Everything else might produce more harm than blessing.

Certainly if done in one year. On the other hand I think it would
clearly be beneficial to look at standardising N3, and this will require
allowing literals as subjects. Also it was pointed out that SPARQL could
benefit from such a cleanup, and that rules languages and OWL too.