Re: Subjects as Literals, [was Re: The Ordered List Ontology]

On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:52 PM, David Booth wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 14:09 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> On Jun 30, 2010, at 11:50 AM, Nathan wrote:
> [ . . . ]
>>> Surely all of the subjects as literals arguments can be countered
>>> with 'walk round it', and further good practise could be aided by a
>>> few simple notes on best practise for linked data etc.
>>
>> I wholly agree. Allowing literals in subject position in RDF is a no-
>> brainer.
>
> I agree, but at the W3C RDF Next Steps workshop over the weekend, I
> was
> surprised to find that there was substantial sentiment *against*
> having
> literals as subjects.  A straw poll showed that of those at the
> workshop, this is how people felt about having an RDF working group
> charter include literals as subjects:
> http://www.w3.org/2010/06/28-rdfn-minutes.html
>
>  Charter MUST include:      0
>  Charter SHOULD include:    1
>  Charter MAY include:       6
>  Charter MUST NOT include: 12
>
> Readers, please note that this was a non-binding, informative STRAW
> POLL
> ONLY -- not a vote.
>
> Pat, I wish you had been there.  ;)

I have very mixed views on this, I have to say. Part of me wanted
badly to be present. But after reading the results of the straw poll,
part of me wants to completely forget about RDF,  never think about an
ontology or a logic ever again, and go off and do something completely
different, like art or philosophy.

Pat