Re: Requirements for a possible "RDF 2.0"

On Jan 18, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> On Monday 18. January 2010 12:43:57 Axel Polleres wrote:
>> As for units: Is there any reason why rdf:value could not solve your
>> problem? (Although I admit that it might not be as widely used and it
>> would be good to give it more weight, or resp. refine and push best
>> practices in this direction more)
>
> Mainly that it has its complexity in the wrong places :-) (OK, I
> admit, I
> had forgotten about it, I have never seen anyone use it.
> Pragmatically,
> when something has so many use cases, yet seen very little use, it
> is often
> because its design is flawed).
>
> The unit is a property of the literal, not a property of the
> resource. By
> requiring another node, it makes it harder to query, harder to write,
> harder to read and harder to understand.

But how else would you naturally express a property of anything in
RDF, than by writing a triple? It sounds like you want to not be using
RDF at all :-)

> Also, how would you formulate a conversion between units (e.g. lb to
> kg)?
> Or use derived units (e.g. watt = joule / second)? That's complexity
> we
> should tackle, not additional triples.

In another life, I am, with many others, working on an ontology for
measures and units, which will among other things define a large
number of conversions and unit/dimension derivations. It is quite
complicated to state these, and certainly well beyond the expressive
capabilities of RDF or even OWL. I don't think that this should even
be contemplated as an RDF built-in feature.

Pat Hayes