Re: Alternatives to containers/collections (was Re: Requirements for a possible "RDF 2.0")

On Jan 15, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Michael Schneider wrote:

> Sampo Syreeni wrote:
>
>> On 2010-01-15, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>
>>> Well, simple rules are sometimes good guides to behavior. I take it
>>> that you would prefer the much more complicated advice, to let it
>>> all
>>> hang out.
>>
>> As for me, I'd make it straight. What do we want from the standard?
>> Spell it out loud, now,
>
> Ok, so I will tell you what /I/ want, and I will spell it out loud:
>
>    NO REMOVAL OR DEPRECATION (NOT EVEN "SILENTLY")
>    OF ANY FEATURE CURRENTLY EXISTING IN RDF!
>
> Isn't that a very simple rule?
>
> And I believe it matches quite well the first few mails in this
> thread which
> sounded to me as if many people "do not want to fix what isn't
> actually
> broken".

But some of it IS broken. The plain-literal/xsd:string mixup is
broken. The special status of rdf:XMLLiteral is broken. Containers are
broken, they were broken from the get-go. (Not collections, ie lists,
which are ugly but useful.) IMO, rdf:seeAlso is broken, because
although it does get used, the uses are nowhere even remotely
compatible with one another. Reification is broken, because it has
never been given a satisfactory semantics. (I would bet a good beer
that there isn't a single deployed use of RDF reification that
strictly conforms to what the spec says about it, normatively.)
Arguably, the whole business of D-interpretations for datayping is
broken: not because its actually wrong, but because nobody pays it any
attention. What everyone actually does is simply assume that the XML
schema datatypes are built-in as a part of RDF, which is probably what
we should have said in the spec itself, instead of trying to be
"general-purpose" about datatyping. IMO, the RDF/RDFS distinction is
broken, but maybe we should just not go there, I admit.

Pat