RE: Alternatives to containers/collections (was Re: Requirements for a possible "RDF 2.0")

Jirí Procházka wrote:

>I would like RDF to be as lightweight (low level) as possible - if I
>were to make mine RDF, there would be no containers, bnodes, literal
>data types, language tags, maybe even no literals - using data URI
>scheme. Anyway I value compatibility and adoption more than sticking to
>my view of the world so I use RDF as it is.
>
>Other alternative would be to have the low level core, build modules on
>top of it, for example like some programming languages do (Python,
>Java...) and call the whole thing RDF - I guess that is what would make
>most people happy.

Good point!

I tend to regard the containers, collections, reification, rdf:value and
rdf:XMLLiteral related sub-vocabularies of RDF to build sort of a "standard
utility library" for RDF, although, of course, this is not really the case.
But for the future of RDF, instead of deprecating or even removing them
completely from the spec, one could also simply "externalize" them into
their own specs as /optional/ features of RDF.

This reminds me to OWL 2, where the concept of an n-ary datarange is now
also an optional feature, and there is a first type of n-ary dataranges,
namely linear equations, available in its own document [1], maybe others
will follow over time. This strategy settled some longish and heated
discussion within the OWL Working Group about whether n-ary dataranges
should go into the core language or not, and if yes, which and to what
degree, etc.

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-owl2-dr-linear-20091027/>

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Information Process Engineering (IPE)

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer