RDF/XML (was Re: Requirements for a possible "RDF 2.0")

I think there is substantial misunderstanding about what is important in
an RDF serialization.

A key advantage of RDF/XML and NTriples was that the RDF Core WG put a
lot of effort into making sure that everyone in the community process
them in the same way. That matters.

I find that many Jena users care that their RDF/XML is vaguely readable.
A triple oriented form (which is supported by RDF/XML), such as that
output by the simple writer in Jena, is disliked.
My completely cosmetic work in 2002 or 2003 on RDF/XML output in a more
readable form, and the various N3/turtle writers is widely liked.

Given this, a triple oriented format like TriX will not succeed.
It is more important that people can glance at an RDF/XML file and get
some feel for it, than for an XML tool to be able to process it.
To process an RDF file, the correct way is to read it with an RDF tool.

So here is a prioritized list of features:

1) (a) well defined, (b) implemented with interoperability
2) processable with RDF tools
3) generatable by non-RDF tools
4) can be eyeballed by SemWeb developers
5) processable by non RDF tools

RDF/XML and turtle have 1,2,3 and 4

TriX has 1a, 2, 3, and to some extent 5
NTriples has 1,2,3 and 5.

4 is more important than 5

Also note that, in practice, processing RDF with non RDF tools is a
complete pain, because you have to follow the paths through the data,
which in DB terms is a self join. So if you have a TriX like format, the
XSLT to follow a simple s p1 p2 p3 o path is really quite a pain to code
and probably fairly inefficient with the typical XSLT implementation.

The cost of a new standard syntax is probably upwards of $1M and is not
worth it.

Jeremy