Re: Requirements for a possible "RDF 2.0"

Speaking as a developer using RDF, I agree with the various comments that what
we need now is not a new RDF specification, but a stable target so we can best
develop understanding of how to use what we have.  RDF has many faults, but from
my viewpoint, few of them are desperately inhibiting.  We now have a very
healthy range of tools that can help us deal with the warts and get at the
benefits;  I think tinkering with the fundamentals could jeopardize that.

I also think that anything that adds complexity to RDF would be a mistake.

The really hard/interesting work is understanding what we can build on top of
RDF (or an RDF-like framework).  With such, I think we'll be better placed to
improve RDF by simplifying it.

(Example: one of the big wins I've found in using RDF is being able to use other
people's information designs;  I don't see any changes to RDF improving that.)

Echoing Danny Ayers comments, I think that better understanding how to obtain
the benefits of RDF data exchange for existing formats and applications is an
immediate priority.  I'm finding that a gradual approach to introducing
formality is proving effective.

While the engineer in me might wish for some improvements (e.g. full blessing of
named graphs, semantics review ala BLOGIC, friendlier XML syntax, better
XML/HTML integration, simplified handling of lists, ...) I can't say that any of
these would justify the disruptive effects of a fundamental review at this time.

#g