Re: Explicit RDF property for "literal has datatype D"?

I want to be able to express same things in RDF systems which doesn't
support literal types and language tags as in the one which does. That
means simulating those with plain literal using some extra triples in a
backwards compatible way. Is it even possible?

From what have you said I think I was talking about literal values all
the time, and I guess literal is general concept of assigning a value to
a resource, is it?

On 01/04/2010 04:06 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Jiri, greetings.
>
> You have to ask yourself, are you wanting to talk about the literals
> themselves, or about what the literals denote or refer to, ie literal
> values. The elements of rdfs:Literal are literal values, not literals.
> By and large, RDF (and OWL for that matter) *uses* literals to *refer
> to* literal values. There is no direct provision in any of these
> languages for talking about literals themselves, any more than the use
> of URIs means that you are talking about URIs themselves.
>
> On Jan 4, 2010, at 7:58 AM, Jiří Procházka wrote:
>
>> Hmm I guess you are right
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Literal-Equality).
>
> That citation refers to syntactic identity of actual literals, not to
> literal values. It is quite possible for two different literals to refer
> to the same literal value (and hence to be owl:sameAs one another.) For
> example, "abc" and "abc"^^xsd:string.

Could the same be said about "12" and "12"^^xsd:integer?
Literal value is just the character sequence, or it also contains the
type information?

This is especially hard for me to understand, since I am not a logician
and I wasn't able to decipher the RDF Semantics document, sorry :)

Best,
Jiri