protocol negotiation

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 02:46:51 +0100
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Thinking out loud...

just a thought, your user agent says http://example.org, but it also
says xmpp://blah

http://something are excellent identifiers, but can we not throw in a
header to say "quick stuff here".

I expect someone's already spec'd this out...

Er, in humans way, you send me a message over email/im/facebook, and I
say to you, let's take this to *another. We talk over a different
protocol.

So we shift to another protocol. Advertised in the headers.

Why not fire a header over http to say - use this other protocol now.
The http identifiers stand, but if you need something like realtime
you can get it.

Use the http:// as the bottom line (we can always resolve that), keep
the identifiers, but work on maybe three levels - 7

inside the vm
http
xmpp

(I would suggest more, but lack imagination)

--
http://danny.ayers.name