head/@profile needed in HTML 5? GRDDL in Linked Data community?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:55:33 -0600
To: semantic-web@w3.org, public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
The proposal from the editors and chairs it that it is not needed;
i.e. not cost-effective.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0794.html

Dan B., your message suggests (without actually saying so) that
Dublin Core doesn't need it. Have you heard back from the Dublin
Core decision-making authorities?
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0576.html

The microformats community seems happy to explore alternatives.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0690.html

I'm considering pushing back on the 0794 proposal, but it's only
worth my time if somebody actually needs head/@profile to survive
into HTML 5.

Does anybody need it?

On a somewhat related topic... as RDFa matures, the need for GRDDL
somewhat fades. I wonder, though... to what extent is GRDDL
used in the linked data community? What tools consume it? What
content providers produce it?

See also:

The details of data in documents: GRDDL, profiles, and HTML5
By Dan Connolly in HTML, Semantic Web, Web Architecture, XML on August
22, 2008 7:45 PM
http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/08/the_details_of_data_in_documen.html

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E