Re: how to define that a relation is a dataype?

On Feb 22, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Pat Hayes wrote:
>>

>>> If xsd:integer is the set of all numbers, then how can it also be
>>> a map from numbers to strings?
>>
>> In RDFS, the same name can be used to mean a mapping and a class
>> and an individual. Same is true in OWL 2 and ISO Common Logic.
>> Saves a lot of name-inventing. We used this in the datatyping. Used
>> as an individual, the dtype name means the actual datatype as a
>> thing, so we can say that "it" is a datatype for example. Used as a
>> class name, its the class of all the values. Used as a property, it
>> is the string-to-value mapping.
>>

> It seems that, at least for Henry's own datatypes, he can also
> decide to use the same name as a property. To give it the semantic
> force he wants, he needs to use a semantic extension (as defined in
> RDF Semantics), but I don't think there is too much to do to make
> his desired triples true:
>
> 1234 :base64 "TU";
>    :hex "4D2";
>    :dec "1234";
>    :oct "2322";
>    :bin "11010010" .

Agreed, no problem there. But if he wants those to be RDFS datatypes
as well, then he does have a problem.

> or
>
> _:b1234 owl:sameAs "1234"^^xsd:int .
>
> _:b1234 :base64 "TU";
>    :hex "4D2";
>    :dec "1234";
>    :oct "2322";
>    :bin "11010010" .
>
> and if he also declares these as RDF datatypes, and his RDF
> processor is aware of both:
> - his semantic extensions defining the properties
> - and his new custom datatypes
>
> then
>
> all the following is true as well:
>

> _:b1234 owl:sameAs "1234"^^xsd:int .

OK, but not these:

> _:b1234 owl:sameAs "TU"^^:base64;
>    owl:sameAs "4D2"^^:hex ;
>    owl:sameAs "1234"^^:dec ;
>    owl:sameAs "2322"^^:oct ;
>    owl:sameAs "11010010"^^:bin .

If :hex is a map from numbers to strings, it definitely is not an RDFS
(or indeed an XML) datatype. I really think this is more than just
being nice: this would not be a semantic extension, as it violates a
normative part of the existing specification.

Pat