Re: Conference copyright policy versus the web and scientific progress [was Re: CfP Web Semantics (WebS) 2010]

David and Daniel

thanks a lot for this  important prompt

I feel very close to this issue because I have experienced in person the
difference that access to academic knowledge makes

While I have been writing on and off most of my life, it is only when I
worked on a university campus that all the pdf's would automatically open
when i clicked on them from the ACM and IEEE (should I say dereference uris?
forgive heresy)
  that's when I started gathering enough insight into issues and had enough
knowledge input to become a researcher myself. I those 3 years I spent on
campus as a lecturer, I read hundreds and hundred of papers, and eventually
started publishing myself

I  occasionally chair, and if there are no restrictions I obviously publish
the papers online, but the most prestigious academic publications retain
copyright.  I also sometimes surrender copyright when someone offers a
monetary compensation for my work,  which in the absence of other funding I
must accept.

I welcome your invitation to start taking responsibilty for this, and will
forward this suggestion to the IEEE events I am involved with hoping to
encourage it further. Not everyone may be in your position to threatene to
withdraw (yet) but its worth putting in a word (is there a petition
anywhere)

i think the tacit strategy is to publish near camera ready drafts in the
open,  I found more and more recently doint that

Even more interesting, encourage the diffusion of units of knowledge (such
as knols)

I take the opportunity to plug a recent initiative by Harvard Business
School, Global Knowledge Exchange, which everyone is welcome to join in
which such important issue is pursued and addressed in the form of open
debates
http://www.globalknowledgeexchange.net/about

and forthcoming related talks
http://www.globalknowledgeexchange.net/events
11 March, Accidental Innovation

And Lee Dirks archived talk at Berkman's
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/interactive/events/2009/09/dirks

best

PDM

--
Paola Di Maio
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”