Conference copyright policy versus the web and scientific progress [was Re: CfP Web Semantics (WebS) 2010]

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:13:11 -0500
To: Wolfram Wöß <wolfram.woess@jku.at>
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
The workshop sounds interesting, but the IEEE copyright terms are a
throw-back to the pre-web era.  I personally find it quite annoying when
scientific publications are locked behind pay-to-view policies.  I would
not expect you to be able to change the policies for this workshop, but
I hope that future events will permit authors to make their works freely
available on the web, as that is what best advances science.

Perhaps the credo:
  "If it isn't on the web, it doesn't exist"
should be elaborated further as:
  "If it isn't freely accessible on the web, it doesn't exist"

My reaction may be due in part to the coincidental announcement of the
Panton Principles that immediately preceded your message:
Those principles nicely acknowledge the importance of freely available
information to scientific progress.

I fully recognize that the costs of running conferences and reviewing
and publishing scientific information must be born somehow.  But
"pay-as-you-view" is not the right model for scientific information.

David Booth

David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)

reflect those of Cleveland Clinic.