Re: The status of Semantic Web community- perspective from Scopus and Web Of Science (WOS)

Ying Ding wrote:
> Yes, I agree that in order to get a really good overview of the
> semantic web community, we need to look at broader range of
> publications, such as DBLP, Arnetminer, Google Scholars. But believe
> it or not, the formal judge of the scholarly contribution (especially
> for tenure promotions), most of the universities took Scopus and Web
> Of Science (WOS) really serious. You cannot go for tenure just by
> writing many good emails, or W3C technical reports.
>
> Yes, citation can be bias and this debate has been there for decades,
> but WOS is still dominating the world of scholarly communication.
> Journal editors are still proud of their high Impact Factors (no
> matter what). Students might be obliged to cite their supervisor's
> papers, but that will not bring you to the top of the top based on
> hundreds of thousands of citations.
>
> I will love to collaborate with people who wants to do a thorough
> evaluation of the semantic web field as i think it is a high time to
> do this and we need this in order to know the current status of our
> community. Like Information Retrieval (SIGIR), Database (VLDB, SIGMOD)
> or Data mining (SIGKDD) area, they are all well established with their
> own conferences, top journals, and field medals. I think it is time
> for us to establish such for our Semantic Web Community.
>
> best
> ying
Ying,

Irrespective, don't you think HTML or even better an RDF (re. your data
sources) would be sort of congruent with this entire effort? Dan and
others could have just slotted URIs into the RDF etc.. and the resource
could just grow and evenly rid itself of its current contextual
short-comings etc..

Sorry (for grumpy sounding comment), but PDFs really get under my skin
as sole mechanism for transmitting data when conversation is about the
Semantic Web Project etc.. Sadly, this realm is rife with PDF as sole
information delivery mechanism, even when the conversation is actually
about the "Web" (a medium not constructed around Linked PDF documents).

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen