Re: The status of Semantic Web community- perspective from Scopus and Web Of Science (WOS)

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:49:19 +0100
To: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Ying Ding <dingying@indiana.edu>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, public-lod@w3.org
In defence of Ying Ding, mapping out the academic citation material is
worthwhile, but I do tend to agree with Dan and Jeremy in that it's
only part of the picture (and almost certainly not the major part).

While I could have a good old rant about the role played by
enthusiastic amateurs (which hopefully is all somewhere archived in
mailing lists such as rdf-dev & xml-dev), something that could more
easily be overlooked is the influence of (developers of) related tech,
in particular things like the rise of REST as *the* practical paradigm
for Web services and the explosion of online social networks, all very
strongly informing the Semantic Web effort.

I would suggest that these outside influences had a lot to do with the
reinvention of the Semantic Web as Linked Data (though timbl is the
authority on that bit of history), rather than either as just a
metadata idea or another kind of expert system.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name