Re: FOAF v vCard (was Representing vCard Objects...)

From: Josef Petrák <me@jspetrak.name>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 02:38:38 +0100
Cc: Semantic community Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, public-xg-socialweb@w3.org, foaf-dev Friend of a <foaf-dev@lists.foaf-project.org>
To: Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au>
Good question, Renato.

Looking at both ontologies – FOAF is about describing both people and groups/organisations and relations between people or membership in such groups.

vCard [1] proposes concept of business card which can describe people, organisation or both. – see the definition of vc:VCard: "Resources that are vCards and the URIs that denote these vCards can also be the same URIs that denote people/orgs" – And in my opionion this is quite messy.

I hope, it answers you question abouot non–technical point of view.

Josef

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/vcard-rdf/