Re: password datatype in RDF

>  I wish to signal to the infrastructure that the string "secret text
> that needs to be protected when stored or on the wire or in a display"
> needs to be protected ....
>
> My colleague suggested a datatype, we would then add a range on
> eg:password to indicate that it was always this datatype (useful on data
> entry).

I don't think the notion of datatype is right to use this way.  A
datatype is (roughly) a mapping from a lexical space to a value space,
and in the case you're talking about, the mapping for passwords would be
the same as xs:string, so I think it should be the same datatype.

(As an aside: the 2004 XML Schema Datatypes spec actually leaves the
notion of a mapping out of the definition of a datatype:

    In this specification, a datatype is a 3-tuple, consisting of a) a
    set of distinct values, called its ·value space·, b) a set of
    lexical representations, called its ·lexical space·, and c) a set of
    ·facet·s that characterize properties of the ·value space·,
    individual values or lexical items.

         -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028/

Fortunately, xsd 1.1 [1] avoids this "3-tuple" nonsense, but it's not
clear to me if the new formulation bears on your question.)

I think the lightest-weight approach here is to annotate the password
property.    Rather than:

    eg:password rdfs:range eg:password

say

    eg:password eg:displayType eg:blanked

or something like that.

Alternatively, I expect a real RDF Forms system needs to control other
features, like the order in which the properties are displayed on the
screen, maybe with grouping, layout, rollover-documentation, etc.
However that is handled, it could probably be extended to passwords, and
that seems like the right place for it.  (I don't think anyone but the
UI needs to know this property is in any way special.  If your channel is
not secure, then let the UI handle the crypto so the channel doesn't
need to be secure.)

     -- Sandro

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-xmlschema11-2-20091203/#datatype