Re: mapping from Turtle grammar to RDF graph

From: Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 08:36:53 -0800
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
CC: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>, pfps@research.bell-labs.com, semantic-web@w3.org
Dave Beckett wrote:
> Toby Inkster wrote:
>>> It also might be worth starting to consider whether to align the terminals
>>> (qnames) more with sparql first.
>> Or perhaps align both with CURIEs <http://www.w3.org/TR/curie/> ?
>
> I'd rather set a principle here to figure out what would be the reason for this.
>
> A use case I'd see is mapping directly Turtle into SPARQL 1.1 Update
> INSERT DATA blocks both directions.  That would seem pretty good to
> unify and make work well which would benefit users.
>
> So in that case, align as much as possible in terminals and details of the
> syntax between these two - qnames, URIs and other details (e.g. '''quoting''').
>
> It also begs the question whether sparql 1.1 update should take on some
> more turtle syntax like @prefix in the triples block so you really can
> cut and paste them.
>
> CURIE, XML QName and other alignment seems less of a priority to me.

One more way to put it, as goals:

- Turtle should allow all 'SPARQL triple data' (no variables, inner {}s) [*]
- SPARQL triple data should allow everything Turtle does [*]
- N3/cwm should accept all Turtle / SPARQL triple data
- All N-Triples should be legal Turtle / SPARQL triple data

[*] Except for the @prefix in SPARQL triple data issue I mentioned above?
And @base ?

Dave