Re: mapping from Turtle grammar to RDF graph

On 02/02/2010 9:50 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> * Dave Beckett<dave@dajobe.org>  [2010-02-02 07:54-0800]
>> Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>>> Peter, all, anyone interested in debugging a mapping from a turtle
>>> grammar to triple production rules?
>>>    http://www.w3.org/2010/01/31-Turtle#⋈
>>>
>>> I still need to stick encoding issues in there (like \"),
>>> but this should serve as a start.
>>
>> I'm interested and it seems the right direction but I'm finding this a
>> little hard to understand.
>
> I'm certainly sympathetic to that. Any ideas gratefully investigated.
>
>>                               I'd hope that we can get out a strong
>> mapping (like this) which is sufficiently formal that it addresses the
>> concerns Peter raised in 2008 [1]
>
> yeah, that's what motivated this. pfps outlines a recipe and i need to
> test my recipe against his. his target is ntriples, while i prefer to
> map to RDF terms and count on the ntriples spec to turn escaped URIs
> into IRIs.
>
>> It also might be worth starting to consider whether to align the terminals
>> (qnames) more with sparql first.

That would be good - SPARQL started off with prefixed names defined as
for XML qnames but feedback was that it did not serve all communities
very well.  When existing, off web, data has identifier systems that
have numeric components, the lack of leading digits in the local part of
prefixed names is a nuisance, so the WG changed it.

 Andy