Re: a list of companies active in the semantic technology area

On 2010-12-23, at 09:03, Martin Hepp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 22.12.2010, at 15:55, Steve Harris wrote:
>
>> Exactly that. It's a lot more work to change a corporate homepage than a personal or academic one, so there has to be a good reason to put in the work.
>>

> Hmm. I actually think that if you want to sell semantic technology to anybody, you should demonstrate your expertise by at least adding a minimal, static GoodRelations description in RDFa. It takes about 10 - 20 minutes using
>
>  http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

I agree, and we will, but we're not selling semantic technology in the sense you mean. We're selling a service which happens to use semantic technology. A tiny fraction of our customers (one in a hundred thousand maybe?) have any idea what RDF is.

It's not the 10-20 mins to create the GoodRelations document that's the problem, it's adding it to the homepage in a way that will play well with our CMS system, the dozens of browsers we have to be compliant with, and won't significantly increase the load on the frontline HTTP servers. It requires developer time, and it's time I could use productively elsewhere.

We will add GoodRelations though, but not until the next major website revision, which is imminent incidentally. Adding GoodRelations data has been on our plan for months, but it's hard to justify the effort.

I've just added RDF conneg to 4store.org, but that's comparatively trivial and the majority of people visiting 4store.org would have some use for relevant RDF data. It's DOAP only at the moment, but I'll add some GoodRelations too.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK