Re: Eating your own dog food and inviting others to dinner

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:54:18 +0100
To: ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program <metadataportals@yahoo.com>
Cc: semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
On 14 December 2010 16:59, ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program <
metadataportals@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eating your own dog food and inviting others to dinner is not the exclusive
> domain of software engineers only, as I discovered when trying to come up
> with a new paradigm for building online communities with social search
> capabilities for selected sectors industry or civil society.
>
> So it got me thinking about linked data and the semantic web, based on the
> contents I have seen in emails from the past two years from the two mailing
> lists fro the W3C to which I subscribe and read every single day
>
> One of the biggest problems we seem to have in getting linked data and the
> semantic web to the main public is that "we" i.e. its promoters,
> aficionados, gurus and developers and dedicated users  are scattered all
> over the place and on the internet.
>
> Has anyone ever given thought to creating a portal site, which combines
> some features of LinkedIn.com and Arxiv.org with online directories, product
> exhibits and a "social search engine"?
>
> And of course there would be the links to everything.
>
> And the whole darn thing would be an excellent launching pad for new
> start-ups and information hub for angel and corporate investors to hunt for
> new projects to fund.
>
> Build it and they will come.
>
> Is there any way we can get a collection of interested professionals,
> existing groups and initiatives together to dream up the design and blue
> print for such a thing and then build it?

I think I've heard it discussed before.

I think elgg is a decent choice for a small to medium sized community:

http://elgg.org/

It's easy to get up and running, and there's plugins for WebID etc.  Getting
people to sign up and to develop is always the tricky thing, tho.