Re: More information about XMLified, HTML

Le 12/12/2010 16:35, adasal a écrit :
> Antoine,
> When you say '...and turning HTML pages into valid XML is not something
> addressed by the semantic web' I am not sure what you mean. What is the
> 'semantic web' here?

By "semantic web" I don't mean something very specific but it definitely
is about RDF, not XML and HTML, although you can have RDF in XML or
embed RDF in HTML via RDFa.

> I think it is addressed by a python tool here
>
> http://code.google.com/p/semantic-fire/

This does not convert HTML pages into well-formed XML. This addresses
the issue that is raised on Semantic Overflow as pointed out by Kammler
Hammez but is not relevant for the subject of this thread.

> and there must be other tools, too, but I don't have references to hand.
>
> Generally the problem is referred to as Lifting, although this is restricted
> to XML -->  RDF and RDF -->  some expressive representation of the semantics
> contained. So XML -->  RDFa would be an example.
> This leaves the problem of HTML -->  XML. I'm not sure that HTMLtidy will get
> all the way here though.

HTML Tidy turns a HTML web page into a well-formed XML document. Again,
there's nothing related to RDF and it has nothing semantic, it's pure
syntactical transformation.
But if you have XML documents instead of messy HTML pages (as most
webpages online are), you can use XML-specific tools to, for instance,
generate RDF or something else. But this does not make the
"XMLification" a semantic web issue.

> I haven't used semantic fire but is should be capable of the task.

Semantic Fire generates RDF, which is not the subject of this thread but
thanks for mentioning it, may be useful for other tasks.

Regards,
AZ.

--
Antoine Zimmermann