Re: How to pitch the semantic web (was: is there a Enquire/Semantic Desktop link?)

From: ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program <metadataportals@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 04:57:41 -0800 (PST)
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com>
Cc: Leo Sauermann <leo.sauermann@gnowsis.com>, SWIG <semantic-web@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
If you want to pitch the semantic web, have a look at the following news article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11797840

    23 November 2010 Last updated at 09:32 GMT. Why the future of search is social
By Mark Ward Technology correspondent, BBC News

In my humble opinion there are three ways to enhance web search, one is by user
profiling, which tries to pigeonhole users by predefined templates and
web usage behavioral statistics.

The second is by use of semantic web technologies which search for semantically linked content.

The
 third is by defining search based on culture, cultural behavior, or
more particularly group behaviors based on commonly shared values, needs
 or other criteria.

The obvious linkup of Bing and FaceBook and the intention of Google to invent an improved social search will have to rely on a mix of all three technologies.

Which brings us back to the original thread of the Semantic Desktop: it needs to incorporate some of this cultural modeling, or in its bare essence modeling of peer groups and social network and professional network structures.

And I definitely would not want to pitch S.E.M.A.N.T.I.C. as proposed.

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297 747 8280
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide by creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide and: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development