Re: FaceBook taking over the web, and semantic web

So to sum up, there is boring leg work to be done and plainer more vanilla
alternatives.
It is a strange idea in the first place that there should be a facebook
alternative when you realise that much of the appeal of facebook (as an
example of big service) is in its massiveness and control there of.
I would return to points I have previously made that our role lies more in
exemplary usage examples.
Let me put it this way, if there is something wrong with some aspect of
facebook build something that demonstrates a better alternative to that
particular aspect. Who knows, it may even be a facebook plugin.
(Something that even I might participate in, instead of just talk!)
Or else what you are saying is it is all or nothing: Everything about
facebook should be emulated in some alternative form.
That doesn't make sense to me, and misses the point.
The way I see it it is about control and alternatives that people have to
chose between.
If people feel controlled or manipulated through lack of choice they will
seek alternatives.
This isn't entirely inevitable, but it is pretty likely in the long run.

Best,

Adam