Re: FaceBook taking over the web, and semantic web

2010/4/28 Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:11 AM, ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program <
> metadataportals@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Dan and Matthew
>>
>> There must be an alternative to FaceBook, without all the restrictions and
>> proprietary formats and ties to third parties.
>>
>> If it does not exist it must be built. Millions of open source coders out
>> there.

There is an alternative.  It does exist.  It's called HTTP.  I use it.  What
limitations do you see?

> LiveJournal (one of the few current social networks older than FOAF) is
> based on opensource code, see http://www.livejournal.com/code/ and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_sites_using_the_LiveJournal_codebase for
> a list of installations.
>
> <http://www.livejournal.com/code/>See also
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgg_(software)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgg_%28software%29>

Elgg FOAF is being actively developed (my latest patch was included in the
last version), there's also modules for Ostatus technology in deveopment
(activity streams, pubsubhubub, server to server)

I think elgg is going to win the the race to be the first to have support
for FOAF+SSL and SPARQL Update leading to a federated read/write web ...
time will tell on that one

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgg_%28software%29>Drupal and Wordpress
> also have a lot of what you're looking for. If you like Twitter, you'll love
> StatusNet.

Drupal is going RDFa, with some good developers behind it.  Satus,net has
FOAF support.