Re: data quality

Data is intentionally made available in a declared format but will not
necessarily comply with that format, unintentionally. (As Alex points out.)
There are a variety of formats, no one is best since purpose varies, some
are mutually exclusive.
There are a variety of interpretations of compliance to any one format,
these are mutually exclusive.
Some of those interpretations used are incorrect (unintentionally).
Data is intentionally consumed according to the declared format constrained
as above.

Assume that all these constraints are successfully met in a particular case
and there is a most tightly constrained format applied, perhaps OWL DL.
Could the result possibly be described as 'not fit for purpose' in any
possible circumstance?
I assume that it could.
I assume that it is in principle impossible to guarantee 'fit for purpose':-
The set of logically correct statements is infinite.
The set of hypothetco counter factual logically correct statements is also
infinite.
There is no sure, general, method that can distinguish members of the second
set from members of the first set (unless the second set member is declared
as such).
If this is correct the only action that may be taken to ascertain 'fit for
purpose' or remedy that which isn't would be to apply purpose and
circumstance specific heuristics with predictably variable results.

I expect this issue is of far greater importance than we allow.
There are points of dissonance and amplification of the impedance mismatch.
Where machine communicates with machine mistaking a logically correct
statement as factually correct.
Where machine communicates with human, the ultimate consumer of the data,
who then must apply their own heuristics, also with variable results.
Where one human group communicates with another human group through machine
where their intentions are in conflict, which is the common state of affairs
in the world. One group will apply their heuristics and find the data
reasonable and correct, the other will not.

The semantic web is designed to allow data to be enriched with other data.
One thought it that in so doing it will help to avoid the above problems.
Another thought is that it will exacerbate those problems as the growth of
associated properties to any one entity exponentially explodes, dodgy doing
of one sort or another can hide away in the interstices.

If I am right can only concentrate in two areas.

   1. Exemplary usage, education and demonstration.
   2. Circumstance and purpose constrained heuristics.

I also do not think we should be confused by problems of validation and
compliance, but build on that which is valid and does comply. It seems to me
that there are enough problems within this working subset.

Adam