Re: connections

adasal wrote:
> People are categorising and linking all the time. e.g. twitter,
> another recent thread on this list, delicious and so on.
> What do you mean by 'ask for a link'?
Make a Linked Data SOS call, in some form: plain English (or other
language) mail, tweet etc., a URL to nothing (i.e., I would someday like
to access Structured Data from here), whatever. Key thing is making a
request for the structured data you couldn't find or the query that you
would like answered (as you did re. Tomatoes).

> Place what they have done into linked data format and ... ?
> But there is an obvious problem of the existing data that needs to be
> scraped and converted, which I think would be the shortest path to
> linked data on tomato growing.
The process of discovering, scraping, and transforming is getting more
automated by the second in a myriad of ways.

Here is an old animation showing how the process of Sponging works re.
Generation of RDF based Linked Data from existing Web accessible
resources [1].
> For instance a search for tomato filtered by seed and gardening return
> 191 results on delicious.

And you can pass that through URIBurner [2][3] and start the process of
exploring a progressively constructed Linked Data graph via the
Descriptor Documents it generates from the Del.icio.us links.

> How good is the data this returns?

Depends, Data is not only like Electricity, it carries the Subjectivity
factory of Beauty :-)
> We don't know, maybe it would be better to just use a search engine,
> which is back to square one.

Of course not, what you need is Search++ (Precision Find across
progressively assembled structured linked data meshes) [4] .
> Supposing that the data is good, that is well categorised, and that
> there is some way to manipulate the data through the api to hone it to
> what is required, tomato seed growing in a particular region in Italy
> is the suggestion that this query be saved somewhere as linked data?
Take a look at my collection of saved query results and queries (the
URLs are hackable).
> Ideally that query should be able to be run against DBPedia
> interchangeably.

If it stumbles across the DBpedia Data Space on the way, naturally [5].
> I guess there will be a meeting in the middle.

Always.

Links:

1.  http://bit.ly/6XZy2Q -- Animation showing how transformation
middleware will contribute to the burgeoning Web of Linked Data (first
version of this animation was shown in 2007)
2. http://uriburner.com -- a service that generates structured
descriptor documents for existing Web resources (e.g. Web Pages)
3. http://ode.openlinksw.com -- a browser ext. or bookmarklet that
connects you to the public URIBurner instance (which is just a Virtuoso
Sponger Middleware instance) or your own instance (wherever that may be
including your private network or desktop etc.)
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkzghnkuOzA -- example of Precision
Find that leverages the burgeoning Web of Linked Data (basically query
over a LOD Cloud Cache instance that grows progressively courtesy of
public use of items #2 and #3 above + services like PingTheSemanticWeb
and Sindice and other sources)
5. http://bit.ly/aEUdUV -- examples of how the Sponger Middleware is
incorporated into Virtuoso's SPARQL processor via some tutorials
(somewhat technical)
6. http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/ng4j/semwebclient/ -- Semantic
Web Client another example of the kind of crawling I referred to above
within the context of a query that delivers "Find" functionality .

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen