Re: When do I plant my tomatoes? Re: call to arms

On 18 April 2010 01:31, Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net> wrote:

> Le 18 avr. 2010 à 03:47, Danny Ayers a écrit :
>> when do I plant my tomatoes? is much more in scope
>> we have the raw data I'm sure, perhaps even linked. but I still cannot
>> sit down and get an answer to such questions without a huge amount of
>> human heuristics. I expect better from the technology
>
> what about this
> http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&ss=2&mt=all&adv=1&w=all&q=tomato+garden+italy&m=text

Very good - I can probably figure out the answer from that, but it is
still relying so much on human heuristics.

> It's not exactly structured, but that would be possible to make it a bit better. Social networks capture what people do in some areas of the world.

Very good point. The counterpoint to structured data is the real-world
stuff we rely on day to day.

> For example, I'm pretty sure it would be possible to track the progress of cherry blossoms through the seasons depending on the latitude in Japan.
> http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/en/News/sakura2009.html

Very sweet.

> Not many gardeners in the south of France ;)
> http://search.twitter.com/search?q=+plantations+near%3A%22Nice%2C+France%22+within%3A100km
>
> twitter annotation feature could help in the future.

hmm...

> The other solutions is to pimp above the fence of someone else :)

Absolutely!
But I want my machine to do that for me - Connolly's bane and so on.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name