Re: call to arms

On 16/04/10 11:37, adasal wrote:
> Americans pay $130 month for cable?
> That can't be right, why would anyone do that?
>
> Isn't KDE based on Sesame, I can't remember which way round this went, I
> thought they used Virtuoso for a bit then reverted?
> It never seems to work too well, it is one of the areas that shows that
> KDE is hugely experimental, and not for main stream adoption. People
> just don't have time. Meanwhile, the ideas in KDE propagate into other
> OSes gradually.

The RDF API is new for KDE (called Soprano), initially there were
options to have redland as a backing store, but performance was awful.
Then they introduced Sesame2 as an option, but being written in Java, it
wasn't very popular. Also it's very memory hungry.

Now they are using a cut-down "desktop version" of virtuoso, and as far
as I can tell, they are very happy.

It didn't work very well before, but it's continuously improving. It's
also very ambitious.

KDE brings many coders that will build up best practises for making RDF
work, UX issues with RDF, etc. Only good can come of this!

(disclaimer, I use gnome :)

- Gunnar