#swig IRC chat (on irc.freenode.net)

> Re ranting, there's always IRC for that; #swig irc.w3.org is as good a
> place as any to let off steam...

Oops, got IRC server details wrong.

SWIG IRC is #swig on irc.freenode.net

For those who haven't stumbled across this, we have 24x7 logs of
RDF-related chitchat and link-sharing going back to 2001. See
swig.xmlhack.com/ for a Web-based view of shared links of the day,
plus historical archives.

Also http://chatlogs.planetrdf.com/swig/ has #swig archives back 'til
2004, and the precessor #rdfig http://chatlogs.planetrdf.com/rdfig/
going back to 2001. Also #foaf since 2003,
http://chatlogs.planetrdf.com/foaf/

While I'm mentioning it, nearby you can also find an aggregate of
RDF-related blogs, http://planetrdf.com/

For those who don't know what IRC is,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat is probably a good
start. It's a text-based group chat system from the olden days of the
Internet (ie. not only before Twitter and Facebook, but also before
the Web), and still pretty popular. Alongside various SWIG regulars in
#swig you can usually find an IRC channel for most big opensource
projects on the Freenode network, or create your own easily enough
just by joining it and convincing others to do likewise. It's
suprisingly useful, easily rather time consuming, and a nice
complement to mailing-list based discussions. In the earlier days of
RDF/SemWeb we used to have occasional "scheduled topical chats" - see
http://esw.w3.org/ScheduledTopicChat - where things like the RDF
Calendar vocab, RDF Basic Geo vocab http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/ and
pre-SPARQL query collaboration happened. It probably wouldn't hurt to
get back in the habit...

cheers,

Dan