Re: call to arms

Certainly :-)
And you make a good point: this could have been applied to any emerging
technology; for example, replace "Web" with "Database" circa 1965.

I think we can and should look around for new and exciting applications;
however, Linked Data and Semantic Web Technologies offers solutions to
existing problems of data fusion in the corporate world.

The most interesting thing I have seen in this thread was a little tagged-on
paragraph from Afraz: