Re: Linked Data Mash-a-thon

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I for one vote for
> "John and Juan's Data Jamboree"
>

> Less name choosing / bike shedding people!
You need a name for an event based on the audience that you have in mind.

For Linked Data, we want to create gravitational pull from outside the
current community. Talking to ourselves and repeating the same things
only generates inertia. The dark years of the Semantic Web Project
remains a not too distant memory.
> Let's pick some datasets to
> mesh and start generating ideas...

Yes, and as I said, you don't even have to start with an entire data
set, take an Entity with an HTTP URI , do something interesting with it
by walking the graph it exposes.
> I'll start:
> 1) http://wines.doconnor.user.dev.freebaseapps.com/index
>
> Wines is a simple freebase application which looks for things typed
> with Wine and does basic inference.
> You have "Shiraz" in the name? You are probably made from Shiraz
> grapes -> write it back.
>
> This could easily be done with SPARQL instead - good example of a
> dataset being used to make itself more complete.

Sure!
> 2) Bestbuyers: Find friends from my FOAF who are located closest to a
> Best Buy store which carries a product I am interested in (so I can
> ask them for my birthday present!)
>
> 3) Oh-no Ohloh:
> Mesh up bugs (baetle / other vocabs -
> http://code.google.com/p/baetle/)  with Ohloh
> (http://rdfohloh.wikier.org/) or DOAP to give me an idea of how buggy
> a piece of software is before I use it.
>
> 4) AusGovBase - Mesh up Freebase RDF regarding organisations in
> Australian government with AGLS data (there's a kind of horrible
> serialization that predates RDFa in widespread use) which describes
> what data is available by individual organisations.
>
> Use case: tell me about the government entity I'm about to try to get
> documents from, and what they've already got online.

Yes!

Lookups, View, and Joins. That's the game we need to play, and nothing
says that this game is solely about writing code.

Code is like FISH and Data is like WINE.  Let's discover, create, and
exploit vintage Linked Data Spaces.

--

Regards,

President & CEO