Re: Vocabulary re-use

On Sep 29, 2009, at 1:12 AM, Benjamin Nowack wrote:

> I think it's also a good practice to get in touch with ontology
> creators in case there is no perfect match. These are still the
> early days and most vocabularies are not set in stone.
>
> Cheers,
> Benji

Any recipe that works for either "getting in touch with ontology
creators" (uh, whatever that means in practice?) or "finding relevant
ontologies that might be a good match, and then evaluating them" would
go a long way to help.

When I posted to this list a while ago to try to resolve frustration
in this area (finding ontologies on a given subject), the feedback was
pretty disappointing.  (Essentially, 'there is no good way to have a
good chance of finding existing ontologies on a given topic'.  Though
there are of course multiple not-quite-satisfying ways.)

The Falcon URL, recently posted, seems much more gratifying (with
respect to the goal of finding relevant ontologies) than the
suggestions made up to that point.  In the end the recipe still seems
likely to be multi-step, but as long as there *is* a recipe that's
pretty good.

John

John Graybeal
Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org