Re: XML Base (was Re: Ontology modules and namespaces)

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

>> Since we were talking about  pragmatic issues to do with managing ontologies
>> and namespaces,
>>

> There are ontologies to manage. I contest that there are namespaces to manage.

Personally, I agree with you here. However, I find that lots of other
people (including my customers) do want to manage namespaces. The specs
certainly do not prohibit that, and at least partially encourage it (it
is not required). On the Jena team one of the on-going battles between
the developers and the users was that the users want to preserve their
xml namespace prefices. Of course, in most serious disagreements between
the specifications and customers, the customer is right.

> I do use local copies. It is a royal pain. Having different tools
> inject idiosyncratic behaviors, such as ignoring owl ontology names
> makes it even more difficult, such experience being the impetus behind
> my first email in this round.

This is a legitimate complaint.
I think there are certain use cases, involving transferring files
between multiple tools, where I can see the approach in the TopBraid
Suite is not quite right.
We do have code that scans the file looking for the Ontology element and
find the ontology uri from that, but we try to use it as little as
possible, since it is more efficient to cache the result.
(Essentially we write an xml:base into an RDF/XML file, or a comment
into an N3 or turtle file, which caches the result of that computation.
This is flawed in the case in which we import a file with an xml:base
which differs from the identifier of its main ontology).

The OWL2 versioning stuff is very nice, and we should be making more of
it in our tool set. I'll try and think up a design that scans just a
little more frequently, and has better support for the versioning
mechanisms of OWL2.
Prior to OWL2 versioning, the vast majority of cases the retrieval URL
and the Ontology identifier are identical - no great surprise since the
triple <URL> rdf:type owl:Ontology says that the resource identified by
the URL is an ontology, hence the usual idiom

<rdf:RDF xml:base="http://example.org/ontology">
   <owl:Ontology rdf:about="">   <!-- same document reference to
http://example.org/ontology -->

> I proposed, within the working group, that we make this easier, but it
> was not considered to be something appropriate for the working group
> to undertake in full. There is at least *some* mechanism available
> now, via the versionIRI, to make this possible in a supported way.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Versioning_of_OWL_2_Ontologies
>
> In addition there is rich support for caching associated with the http
> specifications, should your ontologies be the sort that are on the
> web.

Thanks for these pointers about dereferencing - fortunately no great
surprises

Jeremy