Re: SuRF 1.0.0 Beta released!

Pēteris wrote:
> We are pleased to announce release of SuRF 1.0.0 Beta. This version
> includes some significant changes and improvements in interface, thus
> the major version number shift.
>
> SuRF is an Object - RDF Mapper based on the popular rdflib python
> library. It exposes RDF triple sets as sets of resources and integrates
> them into the Object Oriented paradigm of Python in a similar manner as
> the ActiveRDF does for Ruby.

Interesting. I've been using RDFAlchemy for a while, replacing my
home-grown object mapper.  I wonder if you're aware of this and whether
anyone might comment on the advantages or otherwise of one or other model.

RDFAlchemy seems to have a little more machinery for pre-defining
classes and the meaning of properties (ie. this is a multiple valued
property).   It lacks any kind of query optimisation though - does SuRF
have this - eg. delaying the evaluation of queries until as much as
possible is known...that is, does:

FoafPerson.get_by(foaf_name='John').order(something).limit(10)

get all the Johns and iterate over them or does it construct a bigger
query and let SPARQL do the work? (peeking at the code it looks like it
does which would be neat).

RDFAlchemy: http://www.openvest.com/trac/wiki/RDFAlchemy

Steve