Re: RDF 2 Wishlist

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org> wrote:
> Jie Bao wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:
>>> So, what should W3C standardize next in the area of RDF, if anything?
>>
>> replace (with backward compatibility assurance) the use of plain
>> literals with rdf:PlainLiteral [1] - this datatype is defined in the
>> RDF namespace anyway.
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-text/
>
> rdf:PlainLiteral is a hilarious bad idea
>
> Don't use it for anything and definitely don't put it into core RDF.
>
> If you want to know more - primarily because it cannot encode all RDF
> plain/typed literals (it is incomplete just like RDF/XML) and has no rules
> for escaping the characters used for separators (@, <, >).  Hilarious.

Where did you get that idea? That's simply incorrect. The case of @ is
explicitly shown as an example in the table. "<" and ">" are not
delimiters for rdf:plainLiteral.

In existing RDF syntaxes the serialization is the same as already
exists for xsd:string and plain literals.

I'm not advocating that it be introduced into standard RDF syntax,
btw, but don't like to let this sort of mistake stand.

-Alan