Re: Research Illusion

From: Pieter De Leenheer <pdeleenh@vub.ac.be>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 15:28:28 +0200
Cc: "'Azamat'" <abdoul@cytanet.com.cy>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@ontolog.cim3.net>, "'SW-forum'" <semantic-web@w3.org>, <mjarrar@cs.ucy.ac.cy>
To: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
I agree with the value of the wisdom of the crowd effect in many
cases, however it should be controlled somehow to prevent the
emergence of "foolishness of the crowd". E.g., I see many sets of
publications that are many times acknowledged just because the authors
copy-paste them blindly from each other over and over. In many of
these case the publications are out-dated, anecdotal, and newer papers
in their shadow are not  regarded anymore.

On 08 May 2009, at 21:41, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Google scholar provides citation counts, which while still a fairly
> rough measure, does include an idea of the importance of any piece
> of work.
>
> In particular citation counts can be high for a good piece of
> research engineering and one paper about it. (Jena follows this
> model). This certainly helped with my US Visa application (they look
> at citation counts).
>
> Jeremy

Pieter De Leenheer

Semantics Technology & Applications Research Laboratory
Vrije Universiteit Brussel

T +32 2 629 37 50 | M +32 497 336 553 | F +32 2 629 38 19

Check out my blog: http://www.pieterdeleenheer.be