Re: vCard - Old vs. New?

On 7/5/09 08:51, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:

> 4. Until this will have happened, there is no rush to update existing
> applications that create output using the old vCard specification. (Due
> to the masses of "old" vCard data, it would not be prudent for any
> data-consuming application to accept only "new" vCard data anyway - see
> my SWOOGLE figures from the initial mail - 230,000 vs. 470 datasets -
> which implies that continuing to create "old"-style vCard should be
> tolerable.)

Given that vCard is itself again an moving target, and that the most
comprehensive modern treatment of "classic addressbooks" is now Portable
Contacts, the best future direction isn't entirely clear. I intend to
better align the addressbook-ish portion of FOAF more closely with the
Portable Contacts / hCard idiom, but also look into a handling of the
"work", "home" etc distinctions that can be applied to all kinds of
account (blog, bookmarks etc.), so I don't expect perfect bi-directional
1:1 mappings.

A practical question: can the older flavour of vCard in RDF plausibly be
handled by SPARQL CONSTRUCT rules, or does the use of rdf:Bag etc make
this tricky?

I encourage anyone interested in progressing this discussion to join the
new W3C Social Web incubator group, see
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/ ... we had our first meeting
yesterday and could address this through a taskforce or more informal
liaison with any group of collaborators who'd like to report to their
peers through the XG.

cheers,

Dan