RE: first and rdf:rest as functional property

I tend to Reto's point of view that interoperability concerns lean towards a conservative use of lists.
(Although I feel very uncomfortable with that - trying to stick to the spirit of a rule that hasn't been well-formulated - it's soul-destroying - the secret policeman inside is so much more vicious than the one who is publicly accountable. In this case, we could end up with an incredibly minimalist view of a list, that obligates us, on their construction, to much more work than any recipient of rdf lists actually requires. Maybe RDF Core should have made stronger statements about lists: e.g.

[[
For an RDF Graph published in an RDF/XML document, the following SHOULD all hold:
+ For any blank node or uri node that is the subject of an rdf:type rdf:List triple, or the subject or object of an rdf:rest triple, or the subject of an rdf:first triple then
   - it is rdf:nil, and not the subject of an rdf:first or rdf:rest triple
  Or
   - it is the subject of precisely one rdf:first triple
   - it is the subject of precisely one rdf:rest triple
+ there is no rdf:rest directed cycle
]]
(such graphs are necessarily finite)
).

Also, I would suggest that lists, in practice, are syntactically functional - and that this isn't a semantic constraint and trying to express such a semantic constraint is an amusing indulgence, and not a practical utility.
I would also reiterate that two lists sharing a tail is not, in my mind, a violation of conservative use of lists, but something that one should expect.

Jeremy