Re: firts and rdf:rest as functional property

From: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto.bachmann@trialox.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:49:22 +0100
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
CC: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>, Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Pat Hayes said the following on 03/20/2009 04:29 PM:
> Even if rdf: first (say) is owl:functionalProperty, this alone does
> not constrain any RDF graph to contain any particular triples: the
> molecular decomposition might still fail if information is missing
> from the graph (as it always can be, regardless of the functionality
> or otherwise of any relations.)
I agree with your first point, that there is no way to constrain a graph
to contain a particular triple (even a cardinality constraint wouldn't
do this), but I disagree with your notion of the possibility of failure
of decomposition into RDF molecules. The RDF molecules decomposition
algorithm (and its exetnsion in GVS) always yields to a result, this
result always satisfies the criterion of a lossless decomposition. The
goal of small and mostly canonically serialized components can be
compromised by the structure of the graph, but for real world graph the
algorithms are efficient to achieve it.

Cheers,
reto