Re: firts and rdf:rest as functional property

From: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto.bachmann@trialox.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:02:56 +0100
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hi Bijan
>> If rdf:rest
>> and rdf:first are not functional a list could typically not be be
>> splitted into different rdf molecules[1]. Splitting graphs into small
>> components is essential for applications like diff, sync[2] and
>> versioning[3].
>
> If you are doing to decompose *semantically*, then functionality will
> be too weak to do the job anyway.
Not sure if I understand you, if a do decomposition of a graph into RDF
molecules[1] (as this is done in the Graph Versioning System GVS [2]) if
the base ontology contains the fact that rdf:rest and rdf:firts are
owl:functionalProperty a list will typically (i.e. if some of the
objects of the rdf:first statements are grounded or if the first
rdf:List resource is grounded) be split into many small components while
otherwise it is (assuming the rdf:List resources are anonymous) all
contained in one molecule. Isn't the decomposition into a semantical
decomposition?

Cheers,
Reto

1. http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/get/a/publication/178.pdf