Re: .htaccess a major bottleneck to Semantic Web adoption / Was: Re: RDFa vs RDF/XML and content negotiation

On Jun 28, 2009, at 6:39 PM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> On 2009-06 -25, at 13:29, Pat Hayes wrote:
>

>> On Jun 25, 2009, at 11:44 AM, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> After about two months of helping people generate RDF/XML metadata
>>> for their businesses using the GoodRelations annotator [1],
>>> I have quite some evidence that the current best practices of
>>> using .htaccess are a MAJOR bottleneck for the adoption of
>>> Semantic Web technology.
>>
>> I agree, and raised this issue with the W3C TAG some time ago. It
>> was apparently not taken seriously. The general consensus seemed to
>> be that any normal adult should be competent to manipulate an
>> Apache server.
>
> (Was yours a deliberate sarcastic misrepresentation of the TAG's
> consensus, or a genuine misunderstanding?

A genuine misunderstanding, based on the personal feedback I got, I
admit, rather than a careful perusal of the TAG published decisions,
my bad.

> )   The TAG has expressed that the fact that Apache needs root
> intervention when it doesn't have the right mime type set up is a
> serious bug.

Well, Im glad to hear that, and apologize for not knowing it. But as I
said in my reply to Tom, that doesn't help me actually use the SWeb
from out here in the one-way side roads off the information
superhighway.

>> My own company, however, refuses to allow its employees to have
>> access to .htaccess files, and I am therefore quite unable to
>> conform to the current best practice from my own work situation. I
>> believe that this situation is not uncommon.
>
> So you mean you can't set up content negotiation and redirection.

Right. As I discovered when I was trying to follow the http-range-14
decision and experiment with my notorious 'PatHayes' self-referential
page, in order to bring it into line with the recommendations. Talk
about eating dog food...

> But you can use foo#bar URIs like I do.

True.

> Will the company allow a mime.types file to include application/rdf
> +xml?

No problem there, AFAIK.

Pat