Re: Most Web users will not write code

From: Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:15:19 -0400
Cc: semantic-web@w3c.org, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
To: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@gmail.com>

Le 25 juin 2009 à 17:37, Adrian Walker a écrit :
> Pat Hayes wrote, in connection with .htaccess problems
>
>     ....Most Web users do not, and will not, write code...

which is right and not right depending on the context, the motivation,
etc, but we understand the essence of it.

> Perhaps a useful extension to TIMBL's recent paper [2] might be a
> list of such platforms, and other design approaches?  (Tim does
> mention the Tabulator in passing).

There are two folds:

The technology itself as expressed in the workshop article [Digital Me
Management][1] which is an attempt at drafting what is wrong, weak,
not very helpful for managing one's own data.

And the policy itself as expressed in the document about [Data
Independence][2]. I started by creating a small framework to really
think about your data independence.

For example, there are Web services such as [Tumblr][3], which
proposes people to have their content public but not indexed in search
engines (adding a layer opacity to slow down the process of discovery,
long possible on that. I use the same policy for 3 years for my own
web site.)

So indeed tools can help you to define the granularity of sharing, but
it's just the beginning.

[1]: http://www.la-grange.net/2009/02/01/digital-me-management
[2]: http://bit.ly/freedata
[3]: http://tumblr.com/