Re: Recipe for Shops: Showing up in Yahoo and in the Web of Data in One Turn

On 22.07.2009 15:32:40, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:
>Actually, I disagree completely.
>
>Conflating multiple resources under one URI is deadly, because it
>compromises the later reuse and recombination of data.
unless there is sufficient overlap as in the vcard example?

>Making the business entity also an instance of vcard:VCard is only
>because the upcoming vCard2006 cleansing is not yet available, in which
>the domain of vcard:adr is likely to be changed from vcard:VCard to a
>wider set of classes, because most locations, persons, or legal entities
>can have addresses - not only via a vCard node. (**You** do have an
>address, not your business card.).
Well, that's a pragmatic schema interpretation I agree with. But
you'll have to be fine with me adding vcard:rev to my gr:Business
then, too, which contradicts your statement above.

>So again, this was only a work-around (initially introduced by Yahoo) to
>make the whole thing fly now, not later.
Wild agreement. I just wondered if these work-arounds won't
automatically become common practice.

>Well, there is nothing I can do about that, it is simply an important
>technical requirement.
>If you omit it, the content will no longer validate and data extraction
>and reuse turns from a predictable computational operation into
>probabilistic guesswork: it may work, or it may not.
Is that a Yahoo!ish restriction? AFAIK, the RDFa group has moved
away from the DTD requirement, and xmlns can go anywhere.

>Note that Drupal now has a mode that activates automatic DOCTYPE
>replacement for serving RDFa. More info at:
Yeah, I know, I think they even consider making the RDFa doctype
the default in D7 (brave folks).

>I think that at least such basic RDFa support will soon be a mandatory
>feature for any CMS on the market.
Yes, probably. At least for some time ;)

>Also note that a typical shop etc. may have just a few HTML templates
>for e.g. the company and the product detail pages. Ten lines of
>additional markup may be worth it if the actual content is generated
>automatically from those templates.
True. I already find the updated example much more attractive.

>IMO, there is dangerous tendency in part of current Web of Data
>research: After the frustration about the complexity (and limited
>impact) of logic-centric work, many researchers now want to keep things
>deadly simple.
Can't say much here, I'm a developer, not a researcher. *I* think
there is dangerous tendency in the RDF community to always think
about researchers and/or in a researcher-centric way ;)

>> Maybe drop some of the @typeofs which repeat the @rel values (e.g.
>> as in
>> ),
>Maybe I did not get it, but I do not see a way how you can drop any of
>those without compromising the data? The typeofs are important for
>typing the nodes and the rels are important for typing the relationships.
Right, this was a secret rant about RDFa, just ignore it. I *think*
you can move the @typeof up to the @rel-containing node, though.
This might be more intuitive to people who are used to microformats
where you can bundle relations with containers to show their immediate
connection, e.g. as in <div class="lister vcard">...</div> to describe
the company associated with a listing. But it's less RDF/XML-ish,
RDFers might prefer the nested divs.

>It is not about changing a few lines in an ongoing PhD project ;-). It
>would be about changing a running system.
I guess the only chance to successfully change the schema would be
right now, but I can't judge if it's worth the hassle. And I'll stop
annoying you now. Good luck with the Good Relations, it's clearly a
cool effort!

Cheers,
Benji