Re: Dons flame resistant (3 hours) interface about Linked Data URIs

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:53:32 +0100
To: Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
Cc: Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, "semantic-web@w3c.org" <semantic-web@w3c.org>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 10:12 +0100, Richard Light wrote:
> so the final decision is: which of these URLs
> should be the one which represents the subject of discourse?  And the
> answer has to be:

Neither.

If I use the URL of my machine readable data to identity myself (myself
being the subject of discourse) then it immediately creates ambiguities.

What would it mean for the file to have a dc:created property? Would the
value of that property be my date of birth, or would it be the date I
first uploaded my data?

The classic example is that if I use the same URL to represent myself
and my web page, then how can I state that I am the creator of my web
page without also asserting that I'm my own father.

The URL of the file and the URL of the subject of discourse must differ
so that we can make unambiguous statements about each, and make
statements about the relationship between the two. An incredibly easy
way to do this is to just add a fragment to the URL of the subject of
discourse. Examples include:

	<http://tobyinkster.co.uk/> represents my web page
	<http://tobyinkster.co.uk/#i> represents me

	<http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85082139> is a web page