Re: Explicit RDF property for "literal has datatype D"?

From: Graham Klyne <GK-lists@ninebynine.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:05:28 +0100
To: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
CC: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> I tend to write these examples as
>
> _:x p xsd:date .
> _:x owl:sameAs  "2008-01-01" .
>
> Semantically that has a literal as the subject, and it works around the
> legacy syntactic restriction
>
> Unfortunately the reasoning required to make this work means that simple
> RDF systems may well not get it.

Hmmm... doesn't this lead to an inference something like xsd:date being the same
as xsd:string?

Well, not that exactly, but "2008-01-01" is a plain literal and hence
self-denoting.  Then the thing _:x denotes is hence (a) exactly "2008-01-01",
and (b) in the value space of xsd:date, which I'm not aware of including lexical
forms - is my birthday a string?

#g